What should I do if…?

We want you to work hard, do well and enjoy school. Your parents and all of the staff also want this for you. As young adults you too need to take responsibility for your learning and your future. Some useful information for you is on this, our community website, but your organiser is the place where all of the information you need is stored. The links to the left of this article are helpful. Remember that it is your tutor who is the person to go to if you need advice and support and they will help you, or find answers to any questions you might have throughout your time with us.

There is a lot to remember about how the school works. People often have the following questions:


Who and Where

I am absent from school?

Your parent or carer should telephone the school, and leave a message on the absence line (Option 1) before 8.20am of the first morning with the reason for your absence and how long you are likely to be absent. 

The day you return to school you should have an absence note signed in your organiser.

I arrive at school late?

If you arrive after registration you should report to Reception, record the reason in the Late Book and then go straight to your lesson.

I have a dental/medical/ other appointment?

Bring a note from your parent or carer for your tutor to sign. You should then take the signed note to Reception where staff will issue you with an Authorised Absence pass. If you return the same day, please hand in the pass to the Reception when you sign back in.

I am being bullied?

Bullying is rare in our community, but we try to deal with it promptly and effectively if it does occur. If you or somebody else believes bullying is happening, please report this to a member of staff as soon as possible. You could speak to your form tutor, Assistant Year Leader, or Year Leader. 

I have forgotten to bring something to school?

Try to pack your bag the night before to avoid this! If you have forgotten equipment or homework, explain to your tutor or subject teacher at registration or the beginning of the lesson.

I have forgotten my locker key?

Speak to a member of staff at Reception; the caretaker can help you with this. Replacement keys can be purchased at a cost of £15.

I have forgotten to bring money for lunch?

Your parents/carers can check your balance on ParentPay, but if you do not have enough on your account you should let a member of staff in Reception know during morning break or at the beginning of lunch. We don't let anybody go hungry! As long as we know, we can help.

I have had an accident and need First Aid treatment?

Accidents can happen so you must take great care at all times. If you are involved in an accident, tell a member of staff immediately. A trained First Aider will attend to you and decide what needs to be done.

I don’t feel well?

Tell your teacher. We have systems in place to support you - please use them! If you are not able to continue with your lessons your parent or carer will be asked to come to school and collect you.

I need to take prescribed medication?

Pick up a form from the school office and take it home for your parent or carer to complete. Return the completed form together with the prescribed medication in the original container to a member of staff on Reception.

I have lost something?

Contact a member of staff at Reception during lunch or break, but not during lesson time. 
Please note that you should not bring money or valuables into school unless you need them for lessons. The school cannot accept responsibility for their loss.

I have had something confiscated?

Sometimes students make poor choices and bring things into school which should remain at home. If this distracts from the learning environment, or represents a risk to our community, staff may confiscate the item. This may include mobile phones; they are not allowed to be visible on the school site at any time. If an item is confiscated, the member of staff will tell you where and when you may collect the item. On some occasions we may ask a parent or carer to come in and collect the item for you.

I have lost my bus pass?

Bus passes are administered by School Transport at County Hall, please notify them as soon as possible. 
If you need your bus pass to get home at the end of the day, speak to a member of staff at Reception during break or lunch time and they will be able to help you.

What to do if I need to use my mobile phone?

Mobile phones are not allowed to be seen or heard anywhere on the school site. Your phone will be confiscated if it is seen or heard by a member of staff. If you need to contact home for any reason, a member of staff at Reception will be able to help you during breaks, lunch, and after school.